Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Livorno - gateway to Florence and Pisa, day 6


A visit to Florence could never be complete without some photos of my namesake, Michelangelo's David statue. I saw the original in 1980 when I drove into Florence with my brother on a 3 week Europe tour in our campervan. I had bought a minature replica as a souvrenir, but when I got to Paris our campervan was broken into and all our souvrenirs stolen with our bags. We were devastated and it has taken me 32 years to return and again purchase a minature which is now proudly sitting in the pub at home. There are now several larger than life "replica's" around Florence, two of which we saw. The original is housed in the Academia Galleria and the queues there were hours long. I am satisfied with what we saw.








The Ponte Vechio is the most amazing Roman bridge over the river Arno and it houses only gold jewellery shops and the odd food store.





Is'nt this a perfect postcard photo of the Ponte Vechio?



We both agreed that it was almost surreal as we turned a corner and behold were the magnificent buildings that make up the square with the world famous leaning tower of Pisa which we took in on our trip back from Florence to the harbour.




The view from the top of the leaning tower of Pisa.


The stairs inside the tower were worn on the one side according to the lean and the outside as you walked around the central core.

The door lean was amazing too

Everyone was trying antics around the tower

No comments:

Post a Comment